Thursday, March 6, 2014

R-Town: "Start Living Your Life Fearlessly" - Fleur De Lis



"Dream Bold Dreams"…"There is only one happiness in life.  To be loved and to love"…"All Because Two People Drank Wine" and one of my personal favorites, "You are my happy".  These are some of the sayings you will see when you walk into Fleur De Lis, (located at 104 E. State Street, Suite K, Redlands, CA.).  When I walked in to meet with Monika De La Paz, the adorable and full-of-life owner, I was greeted by two special "employees", Fiona and Spanky.  They were all decked out for the interview and photos.  I immediately put my things down and plopped down on the floor to greet them back.  I even got an extra special "kiss" from Spanky.  As I wiped my mouth, laughing because I know better than to be at dog level with my teeth exposed, I was also greeted by Christine, Monika's mother-in-law, who is very sweet.  I snapped a few shots of Monika's amazing boutique (which I frequent, to buy various birthday presents for friends) and was able to see some of her new merchandise.  

As Monika came out from the back, she greeted me with her infectious smile, and her personality is so warming and loving, you just can't help to instantly be in a good mood!  Brookie and I will stop by to just say "hi" sometimes because going into her boutique will always put smiles on our faces!  "Bonjour Stephany" she says in her best French accent!  She already has me laughing!  

We sit down on a set of beautiful pale blue and gold chairs that definitely look French inspired.    The dogs follow us and are just as much a part of the interview!

SF:  What inspired Fleur De Lis, the store?
MDLP:  Truly, a lot of prayer and faith, and trying to figure out what I was going to do.  I had an "A-HA" moment three years ago when I was getting a facial by the esthetician who was renting the last location Fleur De Lis was, on Cajon Street.  I saw a For Rent sign and as I was getting my last facial I thought, "how cute would this be as an interior design studio and a boutique!"  And literally…I want to say that was December 15th, 2010, and I got the keys to my store 3 weeks later!  
SF:  That's fast!  What did you do before being a business owner?
MDLP: I worked in Pharmaceuticals for 14 years, and my last year working for the company I went to Interior Design School, but I didn't know what I was going to do.  I knew I didn't want to do Pharmaceuticals, I didn't want to work for Corporate America, I was sick of traveling, and I just knew it wasn't for me.  I literally got on my knees and prayed...and I'm more of a creative, and I knew that I had to do something in the creative field.
SF:  And now you have this fabulous boutique AND you are an interior decorator for hire!  You have the best of both worlds!
SF:  I love that you bring your dogs to the store!  Does anyone ever have a problem with them?
MDLP:  No, everybody loves the dogs!  In fact, people would come to the store JUST to visit my dogs!  People have been great about them, and both my landlords have been great about them.  They were the King and Queen of Cajon, and now they will be the King and Queen of State Street!  
SF: What is your favorite item in your store, right now?
Monika's favorite item!
MDLP:  The customized plaques!  It's great that you are able to put your business name on them, a bible verse, a quote, you can specialize them with someone's name, or wedding invitation, or customize it to say "Stephany, always kiss me goodnight" (for example).  So I LOVE the customized plaques, and so does everyone else!  
SF:  One of my favorite products is the TokyoMilk lotion!  It smells insanely good and makes your hands feel so smooth!  
SF:  So think of all the jobs you've had in your life, what is the weirdest job you've ever had?
MDLP:  I got hired at Olive Garden in Orange County when I was in college , and I thought I would be a hostess or a waitress.  But back then, they used to have the pasta makers with the hat's that were about 20 feet high, and you would literally be out there making pasta! And that's what they hired me to do!  All you were doing was turning the handle to make the pasta!  I only lasted a couple days because I thought, I'm NOT doing this job!  
SF:  Roller Coasters.  Love them or hate them?
MDLP:  LOVE THEM!!  
SF:  You do?!  You're a thrill seeker?
MDLP:  Oh yah!  
SF:  What's your favorite roller coaster?
MDLP:  I forget the name of it, but it's at Magic Mountain.  I think it's called X.  I usually freak out, but my sister taught me (in everything) it's mind over matter. 
SF:  Growing up, you probably didn't think about owning a boutique store on State Street.  What did you want to do, or be?
MDLP:  Umm…I always thought I wanted to be a lawyer.  I'm the youngest of 5 girls, so I always had to fight for my right, and I'm also Italian and Hispanic.  
SF:  Italian…woo hoo!  and De La Paz, that's actually or maiden name, correct?
Steph's favorite item!
MDLP:  Yes, as the youngest of 5 girls, I wanted to keep my name because it won't be passed along.  And my husband is so doggone easy going, he didn't mind.
SF:  I think I'm going to guess that you would answer YES to my next question.  Have you ever had a secret admirer?
MDLP:  I've been stalked before…but I don't really know if that counts as a secret admirer.
SF:  I just think you are so beautiful and so fun and full of life, that I would think you would have had a secret admirer.  
SF:  Finish this sentence.  I could beat anyone at……?
MDLP:  Talking!  because I'm a non-stop talker, and I can go and go and go and go…
SF:  Tell me something interesting about yourself that maybe people don't know about you.
MDLP:  I love to Karaoke!
SF:  Oh I saw a post on FB with you singing and dancing in the rain!  Someone even said you missed your calling.  Do you think you missed your calling?
MDLP:  Everytime I go to a Broadway musical I watch and think "oh I would love to do that".  I'm thinking I might do a community theater.
SF:  OH!!  So we might be seeing you at Footlighters or somewhere like that?
MDLP:  Yah!  I mean I'd like to…we'll see.  You know what I could beat anyone at.  Is improv!  My sisters and I all did Improv Night and I was the funniest!  
SF:  You're quick witted?
MDLP:  Yes, quick witted in a fun situation!
SF:  I completely admire people that are quick-witted, because I am so not.
SF:  Do you have any favorite clients?
MDLP:  You know, honestly, as long as people are nice, they are all my favorite clients.
SF:  You've been at your new location here on State Street for 2 1/2 weeks now, how do you feel about this move?
MDLP:  I truly put this move into God's hands, and feel He put me here.  I'm excited to be here and we have so many new customers and I know it's going to be great.  I also want to do a lot of community events here, as far as say someone lost their house to a fire, and they need to fundraise, I could host a community Bunko and all the money would go to them.  Something that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and that anyone could afford to do.  Maybe do something on a Saturday, like have a dog rescue, where a dog rescue company comes and we try to adopt out dogs.
SF:  What great ideas Monika.  You truly have such a good heart and I love how you want to be so involved and GIVE BACK to the community.  It sounds like such a positive move coming to State Street.
MDLP:  Yes, and another positive thing about being here are there are so many amazing shops and restaurants, that a lot of people have come in while they are waiting to be seated at a restaurant, or just as they are walking around, and it's bringing in a lot of new cliental.
State Street is truly a golden street and I worked so hard at my little store on Cajon and I have finally won the prize!  People come from all over to shop on State Street, people who are in the area for a conference at Loma Linda Hospital, or ESRI, or maybe to look at the University of Redlands.  
SF:  And Market Night!   How was your first experience with Market Night?
MDLP:  The second Market Night was amazing!  We are open during Market Night, and I'm not sure if we will need to get a booth or not, or just stay open.  But right now, we are definitely open during Market Night.
SF:  This has been great Monika!  I feel as if you truly live your life fearlessly, as one of the signs in your store says!  Thank you so much for letting me talk with you about your fabulous boutique and fabulous you!  I will be back soon to see you and to check out more new merchandise!  



Spanky and Fiona

















Fleur De Lis is located at 104 E. State Street, Suite K, Redlands, Ca.  They are open Tuesday through Saturday, 10ish - 6:30ish!  909-798-5363

SEE YOU THERE!

1 comment:

  1. Fun place! The best place to buy a gift, or a little something for yourself or your home!

    ReplyDelete